Monday, October 22, 2012

When Exhaustion Outweighs Productivity

"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment" - Buddha

Today was a really tough day for me. You could say that my productivity level wasn't the highest. I've always wrestled with this problem of being productive and efficient one day and being a waste of space others. In a perfect world, I would be productive everyday and live life to the fullest. But, I guess that is why some people say we live in a less than perfect world.

Once I finally accepted the today was going to be an off-day, I started to contemplate why I wasn't focusing. I went to bed early-ish the night before. I ate a good breakfast. I didn't drink at all this weekend and I even exercised. The more I thought, the more confused I became on why my brain was dead today.

I finally stopped and added up the amount of work that I accomplished over the last week, and compared it to the amount of rest time that I had. My lifestyle can be described as extremely busy but consumed with activities that I love. So slowing down is hard when you have so many different things you want to accomplish. I finally went home and tried out this new beginner yoga video that I downloaded and afterwards took a nap. I woke up feeling energized and finally started getting items checked off my endless list of to-dos.

I've come to the understanding that sometimes you're not on your A-game and that is completely fine. There are times where you have to push through it and finish your task at hand, but there are other times when folding your cards is a definite alternative. No one expects you to be 110% 24/7. It is sometimes more unproductive to push through something and produce undesirable work then stepping back, taking a nap, and crushing it afterwards!

Everyone needs rest in their lives! When the opportunity arises, take advantage of it and rejuvenate your mind. I'm sure it needs it!

No comments:

Post a Comment